You generally use data when you’re online but also when you:
- Stream videos or music from Facebook, YouTube or Spotify
- Have apps running in the background and you check them regularly
- Play games that include adverts on your device
- Use your device as a sat nav
- Send messages through Whatsapp or iMessage instead of texts
- Tether your phone
- Send emails
- Allow apps to upload content
- Switch automatically to data when a Wi-Fi connection drops
How can I limit my data usage?
- Uninstall or close any apps you don’t use or need
- Send texts rather than using iMessage or Whatsapp
- Connect to Wi-Fi unless you’re using internet banking
- Switch off mobile data when your allowance is low
- Turn off auto updates for apps
- Set your email to ‘Fetch’ rather than ‘Push’ in your device’s settings
How do I know when my data allowance is running low?
We’ll also text you when your allowance is running low. At that point we’ll recommend buying extra data or connecting to a Wi-Fi signal.